Green Flag Award
Silloth Green is a Green Flag site
Silloth Town Council and staff, i.e. the Park Wardens, the Parish Clerk and the Community Engagement Officer have worked closely with volunteers from Friends of the Green to achieve a Green Flag Award for Silloth Green for four consecutive years, 2013-2014; 2014-2015; 2015/16 and 2016/17. The coveted award is a benchmark national standard for parks and green spaces in the UK. It recognises that the Green meets the extremely high standards set by Keep Britain Tidy. Flying over the Green, the flag guarantees a welcoming place, clean, well-maintained, safe and secure. It also illustrates that the Green is being managed sustainably and pays attention to the conservation of the natural and built environment. Community involvement is extremely important in reflecting civic pride and ensures the Green meets the needs of local people.
About Green Flag
The document ‘Green Flag: Raising The Standard’ (2009) states that the objective of the Award scheme is:“to encourage the provision of good quality public parks and green spaces that are managed in environmentally sustainable ways. The Green Flag Award helps to create public recognition of good quality green spaces and in doing so aims to rebuild people’s confidence in them. The Award aspires to raise expectations of what a public green space can offer and to reassure people that the high regard they have for their public parks and green spaces is not misplaced.”
The Green was judged under eight main headings, which provided the definition of what a good green space might be, including the standards that a Green Flag site must achieve. The headings define:
• how to create a sense that people are positively welcomed into a green space;
• how best to ensure that the site is a safe and healthy environment;
• what people can expect to find in the way of standards of cleanliness, facilities and maintenance;
• how a green space can be managed in environmentally sensitive ways;
• the value of conservation and care of historic heritage;
• ways of encouraging community involvement;
• methods of promoting or marketing a site;and
• how to reflect all the above in a coherent and accessible management plan, statement or strategy.
The Green Flag team in Silloth will be re-applying and working towards achieving the Green Flag Award annually.
Volunteers are always needed to help with litter picking, weeding and generally supporting the Maintenance Team to ensure the Green stays in top notch condition. Please get in touch with Friends of the Green if you wish to support their work.